|FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
|What is Free Space Optics?
Free Space Optics (FSO) is the transmission of communication signals through air using light.
What light sources are used in FSO?
The light sources used are lasers and LEDs.
Are they safe?
Yes. Our products are classified as Class 1M which, in practice, means that they are safe provided that one does not
stare at the front of the unit from a short distance away (100 ft or less) with binoculars, or other optical instruments
that focus light on the retina.
What are the advantages of FSO compared to RF wireless communication technologies?
The advantages are:
- High data rates & Expandability: Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet are easily implemented. Also, multiple
FSO links can be used within a small area increasing the data rates a multi-fold over RF technologies.
- Security & Transmission Quality: The narrow beams used prevent intentional or unintentional interception
- No Licensing: No FCC license is required to operate an FSO link.
- Lower Cost: FSO links usually cost less than RF links of equivalent performance.
Why buy our products?
- Our products are designed to be reliable, easy to use, and affordable.
- Being affordable means that you could install more links to connect two sites, increasing your
throughput data rate and enhancing link reliability, since multiple independent data paths are present.
- If you need to connect two sites at a distance of less than 500 meters (1500 feet) we feel confident that
our products offer the best value.
Free Space Optics, Free Space Optical, wireless optical, wireless LAN, Laser Optical Communications, Optical wireless
communications, Optical Links, Wireless Optical Links, Wireless Links